Students of color, girls, and LGBTQIA+ have been historically, and continue to be, vastly underserved and underrepresented in STEM professions. The National STEM Honor Society™ (NSTEM™) aims to foster real change by promoting Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEAs) in our values and practices.
Because we believe that learning thrives best in a diverse community, and that society benefits from the contributions of a diverse population, the National STEM Honor Society™…
- Recruits school communities with underrepresented and underserved students.
- Works to be anti-racist and to remove barriers and layers of disadvantage and injustice to Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) communities.
- Promotes understanding and respect for people of all religions to have the freedom and comfort to express their faith.
- Condemns discriminatory action towards the LGBTQIA+ community and strives to create an open, supportive environment for people of all gender identifications and sexual orientations.
- Maintains a library of resources curated to include the work of people of different genders, races, ethnicities, and backgrounds.
- Encourages students of all economic backgrounds to participate by maintaining low fees, and provides a prestigious avenue for recognition of excellence and leadership in STEM education.
National STEM Honor Society™ is committed to serving all students and educators regardless of their race, gender, religion, ethnicity, disability, age, nationality, and sexuality.