National STEM Honor Society™ (NSTEM™) partners with schools to encourage elementary school students to be curious about STEM subjects and to develop skills in these critical subjects that will grow with them as they move into middle school.
Elementary school students will:
- Have their natural curiosity fostered and motivated through age appropriate STEM projects
- Have an opportunity to submit their projects or ideas to NSTEM for a chance to be chosen and awarded a spotlight feature in the NSTEM newsletter that is sent to all NSTEM members
- An opportunity for the student/chapter to compete for the NSTEM Advisor/Chapter NSTEM Champion Award and the NSTEM Student-Led Project NSTEM Champion Award
- An opportunity to apply for NSTEM’s Extracurricular Activity Scholarship which assists those in financial need to attend a STEM extracurricular activity
- Receive optional induction materials in the NSTEM Store opens in a new tab(e.g., membership card, NSTEM pin and NSTEM recognition certificate)
Your school will:
- Motivate students to reach their full academic potential in STEM subjects
- Become a desired school for STEM focused students based on the unique nature of NSTEM as a STEM enrichment honor society
- Inspire an interest in STEM subjects
- Gain recognition for STEM teacher and student achievement
- Have exclusive access to the NSTEM merchandise Store
How the program works:
- Membership fees are paid through credit card, check or Purchase Orders (PO’s). Please refer to our Payment Instructions
- Membership documentation is streamlined and outlined in Start a Chapter. Administrators have to complete the Initial Chapter Application and pay the annual membership fee. After that, the only thing needed to renew a membership is to pay the annual fee. Chapter Advisors must upload an initial Student Roster and Chapter Bylaws by November 1
- The Chapter Advisor end-of-the-school-year duties and requirements are to fill out and submit an Annual Report form together with an updated Student Roster. Advisors also need to submit their order for NSTEM pins, cords, certificates, etc. thirty days prior to induction and awards ceremonies
- School chapters that wish to be spotlighted can submit information about a program they offer or a project completed by a student. If chosen, the school will be featured in the monthly NSTEM Newsletter and/or NSTEM social media
Eligibility requirements for elementary school members:
NSTEM has established minimum eligibility requirements for student members. The local chapters may increase those requirements if they wish. So consider whether your local chapter wishes to increase and/or add to the NSTEM minimum requirements. Please note that a local chapter may not impose minimum grades or requirements in non-STEM subjects.
A student who has not yet completed the required number of hours of academic curriculum or enrichment activities can join NSTEM as a provisional member for one year. This will allow the student to be a member of NSTEM while completing their hours.
Click here for the minimum requirements established by NSTEM for elementary school students.