Purpose: At the elementary school level, encouragement and inspiration are essential to foster student interest in STEM subjects and provide the foundation for engaging these students throughout their academic careers. Even the youngest students who have an interest in STEM can be nurtured with the guidance of a dedicated educator and/or advisor.
- Exclusive and secure access to an easy-to-use, web-based collection of tools that will help the Chapter Advisor develop and manage their chapter and members, and make the most of chapter membership. This Advisor Dashboard will include:
- A diverse and curated library of STEM related resources including conferences, awards, scholarships, curricula, fun and engaging projects
- Guidance for chapter success including useful tips, fundraising ideas, and a chapter timeline
- Sample chapter bylaws to assist you in drafting bylaws for your chapter
- Presentation to introduce NSTEM to students, parents, teachers, and administrators
- NSTEM chapter certificate and welcome letter to demonstrate your chapter designation
- An opportunity for the student/chapter to compete for the NSTEM Advisor/Chapter NSTEM Champion Award and the NSTEM Student-Led Project NSTEM Champion Award
- An opportunity for the student to apply for NSTEM’s Extracurricular Activity Scholarship which assists those in financial need to attend a STEM extracurricular activity
- Programs and curriculum to increase the ability of educators to teach STEM topics
- A periodic newsletter packed with regional and national information on program and leadership opportunities relevant to NSTEM chapters and students
- Opportunities to engage underrepresented youth in STEM disciplines
- A program that encourages mutually beneficial collaboration among students, schools, communities, and businesses to build a culture of STEM awareness and literacy
- An online storeopens in a new tab for customizable marketing materials to promote your chapter and specialized NSTEM merchandise to ensure that your members look sharp
Eligibility requirements for elementary school members:
NSTEM has established minimum eligibility requirements for student members. The local chapters may increase those requirements if they wish. Consider whether your local chapter wishes to increase and/or add to the NSTEM minimum requirements. Please note that a local chapter may not impose minimum grades or requirements in non-STEM subjects.
A student who has not yet completed the required number of hours of academic curriculum or enrichment activities can join NSTEM as a provisional member for one year. This will allow the student to be a member of NSTEM while completing their hours.
Click here for the minimum requirements established by NSTEM for elementary school students.