What are the opportunities to get involved as an intern? What do interns do for the National STEM Honor Society?
The National STEM Honor Society is an educational/business start-up organization that provides interns with interesting, diverse, and stimulating work opportunities unlike most experiences. At NSTEM, you are not limited to just one role, and we encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity to explore a variety of roles, experiences, opportunities, and responsibilities. Supporting your specific interests and individual learning goals, you will engage in focused learning experiences working on projects essential to the day-to-day operation of our organization where you will receive guidance and resources to apply knowledge and skills to your emerging professional lives. As an intern with National STEM Honor Society, you can perform a myriad of real and meaningful tasks.
Leadership and Management
Are you a leader or would you like to be? The National STEM Honor Society Internship program is looking to identify and bring on leaders who will continue to drive toward our mission of helping as many students as possible as quickly as possible! NSTEM is an intern driven organization where interns are quickly promoted into leadership positions for those who exhibit leadership and management attitudes and skills. There are many opportunities to take on leadership positions at NSTEM, to lead small and large teams on a myriad of projects. We have several roles including Senior Directors, Directors, Department Managers, Team Leaders, and Project Managers. All the roles have varying degrees of responsibilities ranging from managing a small team dedicated to a single project, to being a Department Manage managing several teams and projects, to becoming a Senior Director working and learning side by side our Administrative management team. This is an opportunity to quickly hone your leadership and management skills, two of the most future ready and important skills to learn and build upon as you continue your journey through life and career.
SKILLS REQUIRED: These soft skills include that ability to mentor interns and to train them quickly toward a vision, quick and positive communications, reliability, team building, patience and empathy. The logistical skills include being organized, running meetings, assigning tasks, following up, identifying other leaders for promotion and using Google Docs and Trello to manage the goal directed activities of your team.
Sales, Partnership, and Sponsorship Strategies
Some of the most important keys to helping as many students and educators as we can as quickly as we can in STEM education enhancement, inspiration and recognition is to open school based chapters of NSTEM through partnerships with key organizations who believe what we believe. Through sponsorships from companies, non-profits and individuals who want to sponsor chapters in their communities and through follow up of interested schools from our marketing efforts. To do this, NSTEM employs a robust state of the art engagement software called Outreach (https://www.outreach.io/) with a training program offered by Outreach University which allows interns to achieve expertise and badges of accomplishment rapidly. As this software is used so widely in the business world, getting this recognition and experience is a valuable experience for future employment and careers. Additionally, NSTEM has an effective and growing LinkedIn (about.linkedin.com/) approach to relationship building with superintendents, principals and STEM enthusiasts across the country and the world. Interns will work closely with the President of NSTEM, Ken Hecht to strategise, plan and implement effective day to day activities in order to help fulfill our mission.
Skills required: The skills required are the ability to think strategically, to drive growth through the effective use of the tools that we have selected and to improve our processes as we grow. The ability to see the big picture is a must as effective communications will be critically important with people at the highest professional and educational levels in the country.
Social Media Marketing
The National STEM Honor Society has STEM campaigns on a national and international, targeted basis. Our messages are centered around discussions on STEM inspiration, access, equity, and support in a very graphical way. There are several specific target markets, each with very different characteristics in terms of sending customized, strategic messages employing the correct social media platforms for each target market. Team members will be in charge of interacting and engaging with different users by creating brand awareness, gaining leads/sales, developing a voice for the company, and relationships with our followers on our different platforms: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, TikTok, and YouTube. Interns will create and implement different strategies to help increase engagement on the platforms. Interns will work closely with digital marketing software, including Hootsuite Pro, and Canva. Team members specialize in creating appealing digital media for platform sharing, and engaging in an editing/writing process for curated content. Platforms the team manages currently are Instagram, FaceBook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, and TikTok. In addition, there will be opportunities to learn the skills needed for digital advertising in order to reach STEM educators and organizations across the United States and the world. Interns will also work with other teams, including graphics, web, video production, and email sending to centralize a sales strategy that reaches potential customers.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants with experience in social media management, posting, and highly developed writing skills, basic knowledge on social media platforms, self-motivated
- Content: As a core component of the Marketing & Social Media Department, the National STEM Honor Society content team focuses on both collecting and sharing content of other creators and producing original content to be shared on our platforms. Mapping and strategizing content is a key part of identifying and catering to target market audiences, and forming valuable relationships with our customers. Team members will share and create platform or persona-specific content for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, and TikTok. SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants should have familiarity with the above social media platforms and a broad knowledge of social media/marketing advertising strategies. Those with experience in building up personal or company social media profiles is a plus!
- Pinterest: The Pinterest team focuses on strategizing and generating content that cater to the interests of our target audience. Team members devise and produce engaging and original content to be shared on our Pinterest boards. Team members also collect and share content of other creators that help promote the National STEM Honor Society’s mission. SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants should have experience and interest with the Pinterest platform and understand the social media/marketing advertising strategies that pertain to this platform. Those with experience in building up personal or company social media profiles is a plus!
- Graphic Design: As a team/division of the Marketing & Social Media Department, National STEM Honor Society graphics team focuses on creating visually appealing banners, icons, boards, postings and blog graphics. Creative graphics experience is essential in working to expand our branding in all communication platforms including social media, website, PR, email sales and e-commerce. Inspirational visual content is critical to drive engagement and clicks on social media and the focus is on creating compelling visual assets for every campaign to engage our prospects on an emotional and value added basis. SKILLS REQUIRED: Candidates must either be studying graphics or have significant experience in graphic design. Experience in Canva is highly preferred as NSTEM has settled on this as our standard. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite is a plus!
- Interactions: Team members will be in charge of interacting and engaging with different users by creating brand awareness, gaining leads/sales, developing a voice for the company, and relationships with our followers on our different platforms: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, TikTok, and YouTube. Interns will research, create and implement different strategies to help increase engagement on the different platforms. Interns will also work closely with the analytics team to determine strategies to help our platform’s engagement increase. SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants with experience in social media platforms, basic knowledge on the social media platforms, highly developed writing skills, and self-motivation.
- Content Management: This team is essential to the organization and execution of many of the components of the Social Media Department. Through the management of the Department’s Trello Board, team members serve as a bridge between the other teams within social media, connecting graphics, content, and interactions into a streamlined system. Members of the content management team will also be responsible for scheduling and posting the social media content created by other social media teams on Hootsuite. SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants with strong organization, time management, and attention to detail. Given that Content Management members need to publish many social media posts before they are scheduled to be released, being punctual and keeping up with deadlines is crucial for this position. Experience with Trello and Hootsuite is a plus!
- Newsletter: The newsletter team creates monthly newsletters to be sent out to all subscribers through the website which includes (but is not limited to) chapters and members as well as their families. This team is crucial to showcase our (and our chapters’) accomplishments & I.D.E.A. values to all of our members! Team members will be involved in creating content that highlights chapter accomplishments, recognizing new chapters, coordinating with various departments to curate content, and creating graphics for the newsletter. SKILLS REQUIRED: Applicants with strong organization, time management, and attention to detail. Experience with graphic design is a plus!
The National STEM Honor Society is working to develop STEM campaigns on a national, targeted basis centered around discussions on STEM access, equity, and support, as well as their relationship to NSTEM’s mission. These campaigns, via email, social media, and video, need to be analyzed for effectiveness across several platforms. Interns will work closely with analytics software, including Hootsuite Pro, Google Analytics, and Outreach Analytics. Interns will communicate closely with other teams, including web, video production, and email sending to address how campaigns are performing and to increase Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for the NSTEM website. Data visualizations are created to present data to other departments using Google Data Studio. These focus on presenting data in a clear and concise manner, so it is easily understood at first glance. Company-wide analytics are presented weekly and targeted marketing demographic data is presented monthly.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Needs to be curious and wanting to go in depth to do background research for analytics which is given. Eager to start new projects and willingness to help. Applicants with a passion for analytics and skills in verbal and written communication, presentations, spreadsheets, and attention to detail; Proficiency in Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Google SEO, Google Data Studio, or Outreach is a plus.
Customer Service, Member Support & Care
We add value to our chapters and people at every opportunity. Engage with different public audiences and learn how to effectively communicate with them while supporting our member Chapters, their members and their administrative teams including Advisors and Directors. Our goal is to have new chapters and for those chapters to sign up for NSTEM year after year after year. In order to do this we need to focus on our existing chapters, to communicate with them often and to add value and satisfaction at every opportunity. Hard skills will be acquired via Outreach software (the top email personalized email sending software in the market) and email strategy, as well as more soft skills such as connecting with customers, communication, and adaptability.
SKILLS REQUIRED: A desire to understand each and every school and system, where they are in STEM education, and to be able to personalize outgoing emails to build long term relationships and open chapters across the country and the world. Experience in all aspects of Google Drive, including Google Sheets and Docs, as well as creating and organizing Google Drive. Search Engine Optimization and keyword proficiency is a plus in obtaining relevant and important contact information for future prospects. Utilizing proper time management and organization is key.
This is an exciting and important department as we open Chapters across the country and internationally. Learn how to conduct an effective email marketing program starting with strategic market research on targeted STEM and other schools across the country and the world. This strategic market research of prospect schools is segmented into the personas of elementary, middle, high school and colleges/universities educators, students and parents. Then be involved in specialized market research where you will do in depth research on given schools and educators. And finally you will be involved in outreach to these schools with email writing and sequencing on a personalized basis with the state of the art engagement software, OutreachIO (https://www.g2.com/products/outreach/reviews). You will learn about the very detailed analytics that we employ to quantify our success and to make modifications based upon our constantly tracked analytics on our efforts. Strategic Market Research, Specialized Research and Outreach are the lifeblood of our company as we build lasting relationships with over 100,000 schools in the US alone, to say nothing of our international efforts. We believe that what we are doing is of great value and importance to students of all ages and socio-economic backgrounds and to the future of our country and the world. You will learn to market with empathy, to focus on the issues of students, parents and educators and to target specific personas for greatest effectiveness in improving their educational and career experiences. These are life long skills which will serve you well throughout your future endeavors.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Experience in all aspects of Google Drive, including Google Sheets and Docs, as well as creating and organizing Google Drive. Search Engine Keyword proficiency is a plus in obtaining relevant and important contact information for future prospects. Utilizing proper time management and organization is key. Proficiency in Outreach is a plus. The ability to think strategically and strong written communication skills are a plus. Driven in terms of research and collaborating well with others.
Specialists work closely with our marketing team and are responsible to build and maintain a positive public image for our company. They are in charge of establishing and maintaining relationships with our Chapters, greater community, interns and staff, and public interest groups by writing press releases and other media communications, researching potential contacts and partners, and responding to requests for information. The PR Department will work closely with the Social Media Department managing the Pinterest account.
Skills required for each team:
- Blogs: They create media, from press releases to blogs, that shape public opinion of the company or organization and increase awareness of its brand. The skills required are strong creative thinking and writing skills; passion about topics to write about; willingness to learn; excellent time management; motivation to do deep research; in-depth knowledge of GSuite office and various Google applications; independent and collaborative nature; Work ethic and willingness to learn; strong communication; enthusiasm for PR; must have a strong desire to write. Writing Sample: Write a blog about a member of the STEM community of your choosing. Take into account this has to be catchy, of around 300-800 words, and, most importantly, has to show your passion for writing!
- STEM News Team: The STEM News team is constantly on the look for engaging events to write about! If you are interested in researching, writing, and comparing numerous sources to create the most unbiased version of an event, this team is definitely for you! News can be external to NSTEM or internal (press releases, events, etc.), but always related to STEM. The skills required are motivation and patience to do deep and detailed research, time management, critical thinking, love for writing, and strong communication. Writing Sample: same as Blogs
- Webinars: The Webinars team is in charge of… you guessed it… Webinars! Members of the Webinars team need to have strong communication and be on top of the roles and responsibilities assigned to them. There are a lot of different responsibilities, ranging from creating presentations/handling social media posts for the webinars to helping with content or contacting guest speakers. There is also an opportunity to work in the technical side of webinars, where one can handle the responsibility of making sure the webinar runs smoothly. No previous experience is needed but any previous teamwork skills are strongly recommended!
- Editorial team: The editorial team is responsible for proofreading writing pieces that have been written by the blogs team. Members of the Editorial Team need to be thoughtful and dedicated in regards to their work. It is not necessary for them to have the relevant skills entirely mastered before joining the team, but someone with writing or editing experience is preferred and a willingness to learn is also important. Because of how detail oriented this team is, only members of the blogs team that have shown outstanding writing and organizational skills will be invited to join the team (in other words, first time applicants will be required to have experience writing on the NSTEM blogs team before having the opportunity to work on the Editorial team)
- Research Specialists: Public relations is a strategic communication process that builds mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their publics. In order to accomplish that, we need to know our public. That is where the Research Specialists Team comes in! In this team, you will be doing extensive investigation on what preoccupies and interests our audience. Skills required: willingness to learn, excellent time management, motivation to do deep research; independent and collaborative nature, work ethic, and strong communication.
E-Commerce & Merchandise
Researching and discovering new merchandise that matches our mission. This department includes chapter apparel and merchandise, personal apparel, and recognition items (such as pins, cords, certificates). Building relationships with e-commerce experts and fulfillment centers outside of NSTEM along with researching specific products to maximize profit. Promoting NSTEM in creative ways our line of merchandise is a key objective.
SKILLS REQUIRED: E-Commerce requires the following skillset: critical thinking, persistent work ethic and willingness to learn, express enthusiasm and creativity for creating new, captivating content, creative writing, organization, and working with various personas. An in-depth knowledge of GSuite office and various Google applications is essential for NSTEM interns across the board.
Business Management & Operations
One of the most critical intern positions at NSTEM is becoming a member of the Business Management Team which collaborates on time sensitive and comprehensive decisions that impact the entire organization. Interns in this team will do market research and writing projects; legal research and implementation of findings; trademark work; handbook design, business and project plans and Standard Operating Procedures, and pitching the highest level partnerships. Collectively the department team members work in concert to bring tangible results to our expansion. They assist the President and CEO in directing all the teams above to maximize output with minimizing effort. The Business Management Team also is responsible for curating a $200 million Resource Library and discovers, evaluates, and enters these resources into the library. Additionally, the Business Management Team collaborates frequently with other departments such as Social Media, Website, Public Relations, and more.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Communication and interpersonal skills; exemplary research skills; eager to learn and take on new challenges; technical platform skills a plus; organized; strong work ethic; enthusiasm for business; verbal and written communication skills; maintain professional decorum; open to meeting new people regularly; confident in their email sending abilities; excellent time management skills; strong creative thinking skills.
Video, Film, & Media Production
The National STEM Honor Society is looking to expand its video content. We’re seeking interns who are ready to add vital contributions in laying the groundworks for a sustainable, constant flow of high quality, branded content. Interns will work remotely and collaboratively to conceptualize and produce a wide catalogue of NSTEM promotional videos for use on the NSTEM website and social media outlets. The goal is to create a brand that will be the backbone of the company for years to come. Interns on this team will manage NSTEM’s YouTube account as well. Video interns need to be able to take raw footage and edit it into a compelling narrative; the end product will primarily be promotional videos and social media content. Video interns will also have free access to some courses from the online learning platform Udemy. Courses include tutorials on basic video editing software such as ShotCut as well as industry-standard software such as Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Interns will complete their internship with a portfolio of work they can include in their video editing or filmmaking job applications, and certificates from any Udemy courses they compete.
SKILLS REQUIRED: At least basic video editing skills with programs such as Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Shotcut, iMovie, or any other common video editing software (experience with Audacity, Audition, and/or After Effects is a plus); willingness to improve their skills if only at the basic level; ability to create a story or coherent narrative out of raw footage; self-motivated and creative; able to take an idea and turn it into a polished video without a lot of hand-holding.
Website & Technology
NSTEM is built on the WordPress platform, needing constant updates. Our entire social media campaign will be aimed at sending targeted persons to different parts of our website for different desired results. The key result is to increase the number of chapters across the country in record time. We are looking for Innovators, problem solvers and tech-savvy interns to join NSTEM’s Tech Team. Tech team is a group of NSTEM interns that have a knack for technology use and are adept at helping others. These interns are problem solvers, critical thinkers, and enjoy staying on top of new technologies and best practices that will drive the mission of NSTEM. Tech Team members are able to troubleshoot issues and serve as the front line for tech support issues such as logins and will aid with GSuite apps for our global users. They are able to create helpful learning materials like tutorials and documentation. In addition, they support new staff and interns as they are onboarded. Tech Team members are innovators and come up with ways to expand the knowledge and confidence of all NSTEM’s constituents.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Experience with HTML and/or CSS strongly preferred, customer service, tech support, G-Suite, strong communication, digital marketing, change management, user experience, web design. Willingness to collaborate and a team-oriented mindset; Good work ethic and a willingness to learn; Drive to make the best first impression for NSTEM.
Human Resources (HR)
Our team specialists are responsible for recruiting, screening, interviewing and placing team members into teams. They oversee team members and ensure they are being challenged, meeting expectations, enjoying their internships and not overwhelmed. They become specialists in their duties, consult with executives on strategic planning, and act as the constant link between our management team, including Directors and Project Managers; They manage our entire presence in the virtual world including all the recruiting platforms. They will be assigned some new roles in the future: planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices; maintain the work structure by updating job info; establishing a refined recruiting and interviewing program; counseling managers on candidate selection; conducting and analyzing exit interviews; recommending changes; and preparing interns for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Communication and interpersonal skills; maintain professional decorum; open to meeting new people regularly; confident in their email sending abilities; exemplary behavior; organizational skills; google sheets/docs/drive/meet.